Ivan's The Sweet German Sausage and Potato Soup
A hearty soup that is perfect for cold days and makes for a hearty supper everyone is going to love.
- 1 pkg Ivan's The Sweet German Sausage (4-5 links)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 container low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth 32 ounces
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes (Fletcher Farms) peeling optional
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Remove sausage from casing and crumble into pot and cook until browned, about 7 minutes, stirring often. Remove the sausage and set aside in a bowl, but leave the rendered fat in the pot
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 teaspoon oil, and then the onion and garlic. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Add potatoes and pour in the broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the broth just reaches a simmer, but before it begins to boil. Add the cooked sausage. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot with a lid, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through; about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the soup and stir in the spinach, and then taste the soup for seasoning. Adjust with more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with the lid and cook about 5 minutes more.